If you have been in a Missouri or Kansas car accident, you are likely injured, upset, and unsure of what to do next. You never expect to be involved in a car accident and it is overwhelming when you are involved in an accident. Even if you are a safe and cautious driver, you cannot control how other drivers on the road are going to behave.
It is important to drive defensively and always be aware of your surroundings. This will help to prevent an accident, or at least reduce the damage if an accident occurs. Many car accidents that occur can be prevented if drivers focus on the task of driving and remove distractions. But, even if you drive as safely as possible, other drivers may not.
What to Do After A Car Accident
Regardless of how safe and defensively you may be driving, accidents still happen. Immediately after a car accident, you may be scared and unsure of what to do next. You are likely not thinking about the steps that you need to take in order to safely and efficiently assess the situation and gather information that you need. Below are some necessary steps to take after you have been involved in an accident:
- Call law enforcement – even if the other driver doesn’t want to
- Exchange contact information with all parties involved
- Get the insurance information of all parties involved
- Take several pictures of the accident scene and vehicles involved
- Document the time, place, and surrounding circumstances (What was the weather? What were the road conditions?)
- Get the names and contact information of any witnesses
- Be sure to follow up and get checked medically
- Contact your motor vehicle accident attorney to pursue next steps
Once you have contacted your car accident attorney, they will be able to gather information and advise you on the proper next steps. The benefit of having a car accident attorney working with you after an accident is that they will be able to ensure that you will receive the proper compensation that you deserve and they can help you avoid mistakes that could reduce the value of your claim.
What Kind of Compensation Can I Receive?
Being in a car wreck can be catastrophic physically, financially and emotionally. You may have sky high medical bills, a damaged or totaled car, and you may be unable to work and provide for your family. The stress and mental anguish of your circumstances can be significant. It is important that you understand that if your injuries were caused by the negligence of another party, you are entitled to compensation for your losses.
- Medical Expenses: You could be entitled to reimbursement of your present and future medical bills.
- Lost Income: If you are unable to work because of your injuries, you could be entitled to compensation for your missed time at work.
- Pain and Suffering: If you have suffered pain, suffering or other losses as a result of your injuries, you could be entitled to compensation for those harms and losses.
- Punitive Damages: If the other driver was intoxicated or reckless, you may be entitled to additional money in the form of punitive damages.
We Are Here to Help You
The experienced lawyers at Morefield, Speicher, Bachman Law have been helping car wreck victims for decades. They have collected millions of dollars in compensation for their clients who have been victims of another’s negligence. Our legal team cares about our clients and works hard to ensure that they are properly cared for. Contact us for help.