Civil Litigation Associate Attorney
Small faith-based law firm in south Overland Park is seeking an Associate Attorney to work primarily with its busy business and construction law team. Attorney will also provide support to the firm’s personal injury and wrongful death partners and paralegals. A book of business is not required but is welcomed. Bilingual (English and Spanish) strongly desired.
The Person We Want to Hire:
- Has a passion for helping people and is committed to the success of the firm’s clients, and to advancing the firm’s purposes.
- Embraces and actively seeks to contribute to the firm’s core values.
- Is reliable with a strong work ethic and proven dependability.
- Plans to use the phrase, “How can I help?”
- Promises to avoid the phrase, “That’s not my job.”
- Is able to interact well with varied personalities in person and by phone.
- Enjoys learning new concepts and procedures.
- Takes responsibility for his/her work.
- Is a team player who enjoys helping other employees, and doesn’t mind asking for help.
- Promotes a team atmosphere and positive work environment.
- Attorney with two to five years of experience in civil litigation required; business law and/or construction law experience preferred.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) strongly preferred.
- Attorney in good standing licensed in Kansas and/or Missouri.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, and Adobe Acrobat DC; confident in his or her ability to learn new software.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including experience with extensive client contact and relationship building.
Physical and Other Requirements:
- Lift and/or carry 30lbs
- Stand and/or sit for extended periods of time
- Valid US Driver’s License
- Ability to travel overnight as necessary for client representation (minimal)
- 1800 hours annual billable hours quota. Quota includes 180 hours of approved pro bono representation.
- Representation of clients, primarily in Kansas and Missouri, on cases involving business disputes, business formations, general business advice and counsel, contract drafting and review, contract negotiating, and any and all other areas of business law and litigation which may arise and be approved by the firm members.
- Representation of clients in Kansas and Missouri on cases involving construction disputes, mechanic’s liens, foreclosure actions, and any and all other areas of construction law and litigation which may arise and be approved by the firm members.
- Pre-litigation and litigation research and support to firm members on cases involving plaintiff or defense personal injury or wrongful death.
- Pro Bono representation equal to 10% of Attorney’s total annual billable hour quota on serving clients through the firm’s approved list of organizations.
- Potential-client intake, review, and follow-up.
- Deposition, conference, and trial appearances as required by the firm’s caseload.
- Local, in-state and out-of-state travel as necessary for client representation.
- Business development through one-on-one networking or active local bar participation.
- Absolutely anything else as needed or assigned to ensure the needs of the firm’s clients and employees are met.
Salary commensurate with job description and experience. More information on salary and benefits provided during the interview process. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Submit to our Legal Administrator applicant’s resume, salary requirements, and letter describing why the applicant chose the law as their profession and why the applicant desires to work at this firm. If selected for further consideration, applicants may be required to complete a writing assignment and submit transcripts. All offers of employment are contingent on background and driving history checks, verification of license to practice in Kansas and/or Missouri, employee acknowledgment and signature of Employee Commitment, and confirmation of malpractice insurability.